View Single Post
Old Posted May 30, 2010, 5:33 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Moscow is an awesome small town that has that classic ivy league look to it, outstanding historic architecture, the evergreen mountains, and the historic U of I campus adds to the whole look of the town. It may seem isolated but Pullman, Washington is around 10 miles away with WSU and its 19,000 student count. Plus, Moscow is in a beautiful area and places like Coeur d'Alene are a short drive away as well as the Clearwater Mountains.

I agree that Moscow is not Boise, it's a small town, but its somewhat hippy, earthy, Eugene mix with New England village vibe and really close proximity to WSU and Pullman offer the kind of University experience that you would not find in other local university towns like Rexburg, Pocatello, Logan or Provo. If I had my choice I would choose Moscow and U of I over the cities in my previous sentence in a heartbeat. Another plus for Moscow is that Mary Jane's Farm is just outside of town.

But I do agree that the state board of education was wrong in their decision about the original dorm proposal for BSU.

don't get me wrong, the area up there is pretty and I agree with what you've said, but for a student there's not much to do but get tanked on the weekends, there's limited job opportunities there for students while going to school. Limited Internships while going to school because of location. Essentially everyone that graduates MUST move away to look for work in their respective fields. This makes for a transient, "I'm only here for 4 years" community. I'm very familiar with Moscow. My dad is an alumni. Still doesn't change my opinion of the place. It has limited resources that being in a metropolitan area provides. When my dad went to school U of I was really the only option there was in idaho. It's alumni is very "good ole boyish" atleast for those that have remained in Idaho. With growth in the treasure valley It's only natural that Boise State would become the dominant school in state not by just student numbers, but moreso now academically..It's already happening, and I think it will only continue. I agree they should Let BSU build the f*ckin dorms so the kids FROM north idaho or eastern idaho have options for housing because they're coming here already. I don't understand some of the shortsightedness that happens in this state. It's like they're afraid to spend a penny to make a dime. In this case they don't have to spend anything. It's frustrating.