Thread: The GTA Economy
View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
Sure it does, if Toronto was relying on the oil sands it would not be a diverse economy now would it? Toronto's strength is it's people, the fact that we grow by almost 100,000 people a year has very very little to do with the oilsands. The oilsands are one of many things the banks have invested in. Toronto ranks 12th in the latest Global Financial Centres ranking (March 2010). Toronto performs particularly well in the People sub-index, where it is in 6th place, and in the Asset Management and Professional Services sub-indices, where it is 9th place in both categories. Toronto is also profiled as one of the 8 "Global Leaders" based on the breadth and depth of its financial services activity and connections with other financial centres.

To think we rely on just one industry in our economy to support our boom and massive population growth is not only funny but absurd.

btw - 1 in 20 Torontonians work in the financial market, according to you they must all be working on some sort of oilsands file. Hope nobody needs to get a loan or a mortgage, they won't find anyone that can spare anytime for them.
You just took almost everything I said and either took it out of context or just plain ignored it. Clearly you are not at all interested in listening to what I have to say and frankly given your history I should know better than to attempt to have a rational discussion with you that involves any negative connotations of Toronto.

Good to see some things never change.

Anyway this is off topic at best so lets just move on. You think Toronto is more or less unaffected by the oil sands and I think it is a major contributor to Toronto's recent growth. Agree to disagree.