View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 12:36 AM

Great render! I really like it. If something like this was proposed, given the design was attractive, I would support it.

Atlantic Place is there, whether we like it or not and it will be there for a long time! Adding the additional floors would have very little effect on the water street side. The building is already there, so shadowing would not be an issue, and I can't see it blocking too many views as the hill is so steep there anyway.

That being said, although it has little effect on ground level, it does have an impact on our overall skyline. This is where our choice is. Would we rather look at two stubby, ugly brick boxes as the centerpiece of our skyline, or a modern, well designed taller structure. I for one, would rather the second choice! Atlantic Place is located right next to Scotia Center which is already pretty tall for St. John's so it wouldn't look out of place, and in my opinion is far enough away from the "old town" from a photographing point of view.

From my perspective if we could have a nice Atlantic Place reclad, That's great! If we can have a beautiful reclad with some additional height added, In my books that's even better!

I know a lot of you probably don't share the same opinions as me, but that's my point of view!

(Also architype: If you do this design in more detail and you have some spare time, you should do a render of how a re-clad and the additional floors would effect our skyline!)