View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 5:58 AM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSac View Post
All of a sudden using the city's parking is ok --- for redevelopment. After the pro-arena folks did all the hard work of bringing forth such an idea, you'll sneak your grubbly little hands into that pot. I'll be the first to oppose any parking funds going to redevelopment....get your own damn money. Quit trying to steal the publics money.
No, I meant more like San Francisco's parking authority program, or the one in Pasadena:

http://shoup.bol.ucla.edu/SmallChange.pdf

The money from parking is reinvested directly into the neighborhood: streetscape improvement, street/sidewalk cleaning, street lights, security, and other things that make a neighborhood more pleasant to park in, and to live in. It can also mean things like San Francisco's smartphone app that directs you to available street parking spots, because there are sensors in each street parking space.

I'm NOT talking about a long-term parking lease, that has always been and still is a bad idea, or floating a bond based on future parking revenue, which is still an even worse idea. But it did raise the idea of a central city parking authority model, which is worth pursuing as a way to better utilize, and potentially increase, parking revenue.