View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
I'm late to the discussion, I really should check this forum more often. However, I'm a Regina Pats season ticket holder, so I'll share what I know about the Brandt Centre.

I am given to understand that the Brandt Centre is structurally sound, and is expected to remain so for the next 20 to 30 years. Currently, the capacity is 6,336 for hockey and up to 7,129 for concerts, depending on configuration. This includes standing room for 200 people, but doesn't include tables or skyboxes. The Pats are the main tenants, as well as Agribition (within the larger Evraz Place context).

Future expansion plans for the Brandt would involve reorienting the concessions so that they face outward rather than into the concourse. A new main entrance for the Brandt would be added to the south side, and additional seating would be added to the west side (much as was done for the east side in 2009). This would probably increase the capacity to around 8,000 or so. This extra capacity would be aimed at attracting additional events to the Brandt, as the Pats already have sufficient seating for their games.

I think talk of building a new arena is very premature. Such an idea probably would not be seriously considered for another 20 years, at least within the context of Evraz Place. Nor do I think the Parker family would be willing to pay a higher rent at a new, bigger arena when the Brandt is quite sufficient for their needs. The Parkers and Evraz Place have already had enough trouble agreeing on the Brandt lease in past years.

On the other hand, the Roughriders do need a new home relatively soon. I think we will most likely be presented with a proposal for a nice outdoor stadium which is purpose-built for football and which doesn't break the bank. This would serve the needs of both economics and common sense.

Thanks for the info, wacko. Earlier, I was yapping about expanding the Brandt. My idea is that if we end up not getting a dome, we really could use that. (I agree we will never see a new separate arena any time soon.) Unfortunately, if the best we can expect would be expanding to 8,000, they might as well not bother. The concerts etc. that play Saskatoon, and pass up Regina, will not come here any faster for 8,000 than they would for 7,000. Therefore, if we're not talking around 15,000, they should save the money and forget about the band aid job.

Maybe that large an expansion isn't even possible on that building, I don't know. Would it be a case of basically having to knock it down and start over? If so, I guess we're out of luck. Anyway, if we do get a dome, we wouldn't need it. If we don't get either one, we'll just have to keep travelling North for the major entertainment. I do realize the folks from up there do the opposite for all the Rider games.