Thread: Economy Thread
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 12:34 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridgite View Post
Not sure if it fits exactly, but it looks like London's CMA covers most, if not all of Middlesex county. Looks like it definitely includes St. Thomas.

http://geodepot.statcan.ca/GeoSearch...entName=London (CMA)&IdentUID=555

I suppose I can see what you're saying about the bedroom communities outside of London not feeling like they're part of metro London. The largest one for the tri-cities (Elmira) only got bus service into Waterloo a year or two ago. New Hamburg and Baden are very close to town, sprawling rapidly, but aren't even considered part of the CMA yet. I did the calculations a couple years ago and they were almost borderline in qualifying for CMA inclusion...but I guess that'll have to wait for at least 2011.

As much as it would probably be worse in a lot of ways for KW to not get the expressway, it has probably hurt us in some ways as well. Along with the historical circumstance of being a collection of smaller towns that merged, the expressway has encouraged the dispersion of not just residents, but jobs as well. It's likely has no small role in why the region is so decentralized and hasn't developed a substantial CBD like London has.
^ Thanks for the link Cambridgite. Our CMA does includes St.Thomas.

So Elmira gets local bus service, eh? It's about the same distance to the edge of the city, and is a simmilar size to my town. It's a sizable community only 10 minutes from the city limits, so that would be sweet if the LTC ever thought of that.

I also agree that I would never want an internal expressway splicing up the Forest City. But I would like to see a continuation of VMP north of the city to meet up with a western expressway from the 402. But that's not a new idea.

Sorry for getting off topic.