View Single Post
Old Posted May 18, 2012, 7:09 AM

Ok here goes my first post.

Love this thread its just what I've been looking for to satisfy my cravings for Hollywood/LA Noir

Fell in love with the place after a trip over from England as a child, have devoured any books I can get on the subject ever since.

My interest was also piqued by a documentary on Hollywood Ghosts that featured the spooky remains of the stairs leading up to Houdinis long demolished mansion

A particular favourite of mine is Ken Schlessers 'This is Hollywood' an unusual movieland guide.

hopefully you wont mind a Limey crashing the party with some posts related to locations in the book

First up the Hollywood actor Paul Kelly and the love triangle murder he committed.

http://cool-hot-center.blogspot.co.u...1_archive.html

Kelly portrayed tough guys in the movies from the 1930's to 1950's (most notably in the Cagney movie 'The Roaring Twenties'), well in 1927 he fell in love with actress Dorothy Mackaye who at the time was married to stage actor Ray Raymond.

When Ray found out about the affair he invited kelly here to his house at 2261 Cheremoya

Google Street View

to discuss a possible solution, a fight ensued and Raymond suffered a terrible beating at Kellys hands, so much so that he died later from his inujuries.

Kelly and MacKaye then paid a physician $500 to report Raymonds death as 'Natural causes'

A hasty cremation was arranged but an anonymous tip off to the coroner prompted a last mintue halt to the precedings.

Kelly was convicted of Murder and McKaye of conspiracy, they both did time in San Quentin. Shortly after their release Kelly married McKaye

Can anyone help me with a query? reported in the book was a 38 roommansion that stood at 9561 Sunset that was razed in 1985 it was built by M.H. Whittier in 1917, however when it was bought by Arabian sheik Al Fassi in 1978 apparently he had all of the nude statuary painted in natural skin tones including male and female private parts!!!

It shocked Beverly Hills and stopped traffic! neighbours called the scene a dirty Disneyland

The picture in the book is small and B&W, anyone ever seen any pictures of the place?

Thanks for reading and keep up the good work

Last edited by Joe Gillis; May 18, 2012 at 7:37 AM.