View Single Post
Old Posted May 1, 2005, 12:23 AM
Desert Urbanite

By the way, I sent a letter to our local paper, The Arizona Republic, announcing to our city to those stupid NIMBYs to BACK-OFF on our tower:

On Saturday, there was an article announcing plans for a new 50-story condo tower for downtown Phoenix. I would like to support having a new tallest in town. Past letters I have emphasized my support for skyscrapers, and I welcome this news. Now I am waiting for that rush of NIMBYs (Not in My Backyard) folks to oppose this. They are going to argue that:

“I didn't move here to live in a city of canyons. If I wanted Manhattan, I'd move there!”

"It'll block our views of the desert, the sky and the sunsets!"

"Not one penny of my hard-earned tax dollars should go for this.”

Okay, Phoenix will never become NYC. Look at Denver and San Diego; they both have a beautiful tall skyline without being like NYC. Also, the tower will not be tall enough to block our sunset and mountain views, and it isn’t going to follow everyone around. Lastly, this is going to be a private development; Trump and Optima have been mentioned as possible developers. So please support this new tallest, it will be a wonderful addition. We are overdue on a tallest for over thirty years. Besides, downtown is the perfect location.

So I hope the letter gets published. Here in Phoenix, a lot oppose any tall development, thinking it will take away our vistas and become NYC. Well, along with that PA Pride dummy and our NIMBYs, they can shove it.

Sprawl is sucking everything away from our city core, and we need to do something soon to limit it's growth. Before this thread in our Interior West forum, we had an inner-city arguement about sprawl, and it surely got everyone's true colors out of them, and I was surprised. Some thought sprawl was a good thing, and it sure looked like they were in par with PA Pride, the NIMBYs and other knuckle-heads who supports raping our deserts and building ugly tracts of cookie-cutter homes that won't even last 25 years.

I support this new tallest. PHOENIX is finally getting what it deserves, and I am happy!

-Andrew