View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
It's not that crazy nor is it "way out of left field" -jeesh where have you been? Cal Expo has been talked about as a possible arena site for years.

With all due respect to Brian May (deputy general manager for Cal Expo) after reading some of their own reports over the years I concluded that part of the blame for Cal Expo's lowering attendance is that they are of out-of-sync with the average Sacramentan's tastes. It's kind of like they're living in the Sacramento of the early 1980's.

Anyway, about the arena.

As for the traffic issue. To be honest I don't think I've ever had to go to the airport before or after a game at Arco so I don't know what the traffic is like but it seems like it would be a mess. I just don't like the idea of a traffic jamming up access to the airport. And I don't see how a downtown arena would be that much different than CalExpo in terms of causing traffic backups. There is no ideal location but for me it's a no brainer if they can somehow resolve the traffic issue.

I see the CalExpo/Arden Fair Mall/Point West area as a possibe 'second downtown' for Sacramento. Maybe if the city looked at it in that way we could come up with a workable plan that included a spur off the existing North Sac light-rail line?
I meant it was way out of left field because I didn't think that the NBA would consider Cal Expo as an option. I didn't even know it was on their radar. It's a perfect location. I was just expressing my surprise and excitement about the possibility. You didn't have to get all snippy and uppity about it!