View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 2:12 AM

I've been seeing posters for the "Residents Association of Mount Pleasant" all over Main Street - they seem to be a one-issue organization devoted to opposing this project. They're genuinely awful (claiming that limiting housing supply will somehow keep Mount Pleasant affordable, etc) but they seem to be fairly well organized.

This project needs our support, especially from SSPers in Mount Pleasant. If you have the time, please contact city hall to express your support for the project - ironically there is a very good page on that site explaining exactly what you can do.

Here's the letter I sent, feel free to use it as a template:

Quote:
Mayor and Council

453 West 12th Avenue
Vancouver, B.C. V5Y 1V4

RE: Rezoning Application 180 Kingsway / 228 – 246 East Broadway

I would like to express my strong support for Rize Alliance’s Rezoning Application for a proposed development at 180 Kingsway / 228 – 246 East Broadway.

Mount Pleasant is a wonderful neighbourhood with many amenities, cultural and otherwise. Unfortunately it also has very limited housing supply - I have multiple friends who would love to move here, but it is very difficult to find an affordable apartment that isn't listed on the Bedbug Registry. More housing is desperately needed in the area - blocking this project will limit the ability of the market to provide new housing supply, putting even more upward pressure on housing prices.

The development would also be highly transit-centric, as it would be close to an express bus line and four trolley buses. It would be terribly environmentally irresponsible to prohibit construction here and force people out toward the car-dependent suburbs. For these reasons I strongly urge you to allow this development and others in the neighbourhood.

Thank you very much for your time,
(name and address)