View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
As observed by other posters, the M-Line was supposed to be immediately followed by the Evergreen and Broadway extensions, but those got delayed by Victoria's power politics. There was never a good reason to connect the primary corridors (anybody have the map with all the big arrows on it?) with a sub-par system; the secondary and minor corridors are a different story...

It could very well be that bi-artics would be enough for Highway 10, but you never know. Besides, speculation beats waiting fifty years for TransLink's study.

Because that's how long the line is, not the branch? The UP services downtown, then the demi-urbs, then two suburbs, then the airport.

What you proposed is basically one full line that goes Weston, Etobicoke, end of story. No downtown or airport.
Yeah, I know that, but the logic applies- that if building the rest of the M-line was cheaper, we could have gone down the laundry list faster.

Note that Brentwood, Lougheed, and Coquitlam Central were all suburban or industrial wastelands in 2000. The LRSP, as below designated town centres, but Aldergrove has the same level of designation as Brentwood or Lougheed.
Ok, extreme example, but you get the idea. Designations are, to an extent, arbitrary. That doesn't mean they should be ignored, but they are flexible.
-

(Metro Vancouver LRSP, copied from Daily Hive)

Secondary corridors for rapid transit become future primary corridors, as well. Even earlier RT plans, as below (I'm talking the 1978 Rapid Transit Preliminary Design here- yes, that old) for Metro Vancouver didn't even bother with the Phase 1 Millennium Line alignment for the most part.

(Rail for the Valley (ugh), copied from the 1978 Rapid Transit Preliminary Design)

The LRSP was only made in 1997, which designated the Phase I Millennium Line corridor as being important enough to build. Even then, it offered LRT as a possible solution to fulfilling its goals.

I don't think we're communicating properly. That was the point of asking about integrating it with the rest of the system, with the New West- Lander section being merely a section of it.

Perhaps something like this:
-

(Do I seriously have to cite google maps?)

Mostly suburban-Suburban lines, unfortunately. Dotted are areas where the line merges into other commuter rail, to save me the drawing.

Looking at it though, the Artubus corridor would be really useful, though the obvious should be obvious.

Last edited by fredinno; Mar 15, 2019 at 8:11 PM.