View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 2:07 AM
Fourth and Main

Count me among those following this series.

I tried this with Winston-Salem, several years ago. I remember researching and photographing different neighborhoods, between 2003 and 2005. I think I photographed roughly 60% of the neighborhoods and only posted 40% of them. A different neighborhood each month. Grit and the city's homes from the mid-1700s through the late-1800s seemed to be the most interesting on the forum. At the time, I was learning about different architectural styles and studying the history of the city. I do remember the rough neighborhoods weren't as rough (at least during the day) as people would say and occasionally, seniors would stop me and talk for a long time, as I watched the sun move lower in the sky. They would often provide something worth adding to the thread, though. I loved doing this. I can remember people with older homes, built before 1850, would often see me and run outside to take things off the porch and prepare their home for whatever historic publication they thought was there to photograph their home. I can also remember going in search of remnants from lost buildings, as part of the series. Today, I can look back on this to see the changes.