View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:56 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'll do what Loco101 did and Quebec with Ontario, and in many cases I think Ontario will mirror what other provinces have as rules.

In terms of driving:

Expressway and freeways on-ramps in Quebec have yield signs, which means if you can't merge safely you are supposed to stop on the on-ramp. I have never seen this anywhere else in Canada or the U.S., except certain specific circumstances. In Quebec it's systematic - every single on-ramp is like this.

You can turn right on a red anywhere in Quebec (where a sign doesn't say you can't). For many decades this was forbidden here but has been legal for a decade or more. The only exception is the entire island of Montreal, which is the only large area in Canada and the U.S. where right turns on red are banned - except for Manhattan.

Quebec autoroutes have a 60 kmh minimum speed and you can get ticketed for driving too slow.

The left lanes of Quebec autoroutes are for passing only and you can get ticketed for left-lane hogging. (Generally, though, Quebec motorists police this themselves. YaknowwhatImean.) In other provinces you do have signs that say KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS but this is not legally enforceable by police.

You're not allowed to pass on a solid yellow line under any circumstances unless it's for a cyclist or a farm vehicle with one of those slow-moving triangle thingies. In Ontario for example, you're legally allowed to pass on a solid yellow line if you think it's safe, but it's not recommended

Public transit buses have absolute priority for merging (signs indicate this on all buses) and when they pull away from bus stops they'll cut you right off sometimes. If you hit them, it's your fault.

If you can't drive at least the speed limit you have to turn on your four-way flashers. This applies when you're in a slow-moving vehicle for whatever reason, or in a sudden downpour or whiteout when everyone slows down suddenly. In my experience this is also a "rest of the world" non-North American thing that's not very common in the other provinces or the U.S. In these instances you will notice that not everyone complies on Quebec highways but most do.
As I was taught, what you’re calling 4-way flashers are hazard lights, which indicate that a vehicle is a “hazard” on the road, which means that it’s stationary. Switching them on when you’re moving is unlawful, or at least it was when I learned to drive back in the Model T era.