View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 7:00 PM

Hats off to MonkeyRodin for creating such an interesting thread!

I've always found that skyscraper, considering the sheer number of people they hold, add a lot of people to the urban core they actually add little urbanity. Ya, for losers like us on these threads that love looking at skylines they may look cool from a distance but when you get up close and personal they add little to the streetscape and urban vibe itself.

Low and Mid-rise building is where you get the most interesting architecture and yet the buildings add to the urban landscape as opposed to over powering it. Also at the base of tall buildings {especially when they are part of a huge complex like CityPlace} you may get retail and other commercial elements but often they are of the very generic kind.....Timmys, a bank, real estate office, Bell/Rogers/Telus dealer etc.

Smaller buildings tend to be far more open to more novel and individual businesses and hence create a more unique and welcoming urban environment. Due to their more unique form and often better and more interesting designs, colours, building materials they don't add sterility to an area like a nameless blue glass condo box.

I think this why I have never been a fan of much of Vancouver.........tons of points for density but all the steel and glass towers are alienating and seem sterile. This is why the West End seems more like a true neighbourhood and community and the new condo towers east of Granville seems more like just a collection of apartments.