View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 5:40 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Graylyn Hotel & International Conference Center:
The third floor of the hotel and conference center will be renovated and the first and second floors will be renovated, soon. Expect to see 14 four star boutique hotel rooms and 1 suite on the third floor. No details on the other floors. Construction begins November 15 and will be completed March 1, 2017. The Norman Revival meets Art Deco castle will be kept as close to original as possible. John Wise said “We have a unique place here. People come here to experience what it’s like to be a captain of industry. In some cases, we will adjust the walls, but we will not change the house’s roofline or the historic structure of the place.” CJMW will be the architect and Frank L. Blum Construction will be the General Contractor.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...pg?resize=1025
Credit: David Rolfe | JournalNow

Bookmarks Headquarters and Downtown Bookstore:
Bookmarks has selected a former Nash automobile garage (built in 1927) on Third Street to renovate into their new headquarters, event space, coffee bar & cafe, and bookstore. This building was once the place to take your Nash car for service and new Kelly-Springfield tires. The store has an access from Fourth Street, on a breezeway at 636½ West Fourth Street, between a Domino's Pizza sit-down restaurant with wine and beer and the Design Archives store. Yes, this breezeway is below T.W. Garner's new headquarters and next to Foothills Brewing. Bookmarks will open their new headquarters and store in 2017. They didn't say what month or quarter? I'll guess late 2017? Look for artwork in the breezeway.

If you would like to donate, to help with construction: https://app.donorview.com/Donation/D...LT71W9j-_r9vT0

Donating is a good way to become a part of what is happening downtown.

This vacant automotive garage should be an interesting adaptive reuse project to follow. It looks rough, but maybe it's not as bad as it looks? The roof appears to be intact and the structure looks solid. It's a very awesome building, if they keep the steel windows and restore it. #CityOfAdaptiveReuse

You can tell this was built for small 1920s cars:
Credit: Andrew Dye | JournalNow

A nice space for a bookstore, cafe, event space, and office space:
Credit: Andrew Dye | JournalNow

Wise Man Brewing - Brewery, Office Space, & Music Venue:
In Winston-Salem, everything must be covered in murals.

Credit: Wise Man Brewing

Twin City Lofts Condominiums:

Credit: lambert_architecture

Taking a closer look at the construction site, after visiting a few bars:

Credit: neohpocalypse

Sports Performance Center:
I.L. Long Construction has pulled permits for this 4-storey building. It will feature a large state-of-the-art strength and conditioning area that will include both weight rooms and cardio areas. It will house football and men’s and women’s basketball coaches’ offices, team meeting areas and other programmable space. We should see construction begin, soon!

1802 Vierling House Restoration:

Credit: Bill Wells

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)

Removing the last of the glass:

Credit: nogodsnomonsters

Are they removing the top of these tanks/silos?

Credit: wayupmedia

Yes, a crane is at the site!

Credit: jodylawson87

Sunday night view:

Credit: Amanda Fulk

I think they are currently removing the roof? See the photograph, below, which appears to not have the building's roof (light is flooding in). Everything about the roof appears deteriorated, from what I've seen. The skylights appear to be made of rotten wood? They will likely have to rebuild all of that (just my guess)?

View that appears to not have the roof, from yesterday, with a filter applied:

Credit: Jessica Lewis

Science & Engineering Center:
The spandrels are now painted. The building appears "almost" completed from the exterior.

Credit: daniel.b.raymond

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:
Still grading... as usual. Do I see steel at the site?

Credit: vincefrank

Central Library:
Cladding installation has started!

Credit: Steele Group

Alternative Transportation:

Creative Corridors Update & Twin Arches Bridge Update:
Creative Corridors is less than $500,000 from their fundraising goal. They didn't install the arches, last weekend. A segment was delayed in transit. I'm guessing arch construction is delayed until this weekend? That is just my guess, though. The arches are actually a very light green, called Current. It must be a very light tint, but if I look at them long enough, I can see the green.

The Twin Arches:

Credit: Creative Corridors

The color isn't white... it's a very light green:

On their way to Winston-Salem:

Peters Creek Parkway Bridge:
Construction will begin on October 21. I'm not sure what the source is? I thought it was the Journal? Maybe it was the DOT? I tried to find the source I used for that date, a few days ago, and couldn't? There are so many reports on these bridge projects, right now. These projects are finally starting construction. Artist Larry Kirkland designed Moravian Star inspired spires for the bridge, so this is worth following. Keep Winston-Salem Nerdy and Artsy.

http://www.larrykirkland.com

Off-Subject:

Chelsea Clinton to Hold Panel Discussion:
Chelsea Clinton will hold a Women in Leadership panel discussion in Winston-Salem, today. Not many details are available, so check with local news to learn more.

Random Photographs:

Awesome castle home, from the 1800s, designed by famous New York architect Max Schroff:

Credit: Bill Wells

Naturalization Ceremony at International Village Food & Music Festival:

Credit: cityofwinstonsalem

Winston-Salem welcomed new American citizens from 19 different countries, during the festival, at downtown's Corpening Plaza Water Gardens & Park.

Their website said, this is the oldest steel frame skyscraper in North Carolina:

Credit: everwondr_network

An art exhibit in downtown Winston-Salem's hidden tunnels: (This tunnel once led to a downtown ice rink)

Credit: kewolf91

I was just talking about this church, built in 1919, last week (in another thread):

Credit: nc_grave_explorer

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 8:31 AM.