View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 1, 2010, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhavel View Post
I do admit, my comment did nothing to attest to my extreme admiration for the project. And I apologize for the pessimism -- Chad, your words were reminders that the project truly is one of the best urban revitalization efforts in the city. And I thank you for showing me a different perspective of "secrecy" and community-involvement for the private-development.

In response to the property rates and what the Pearl is doing, what I inarticulately was trying to ask is that given the Pearl's desire to have a multi-income hub, what can be done to make sure the development does not become just a string of expensive condominiums. It can't really be called gentrification just because a lot of the surrounding areas are abandoned.

And, yes, I am greatly interested in the implications of the development. I do see and accept how what I wrote earlier was not reflective of how much success the Pearl has achieved, and how much I want to see it continually achieve.
I appreciate your response, and hope I didn't come off as too much of a curmudgeon. But I wanted to convey that there's no such thing as a "perfect" project, and that we shouldn't let "the perfect" be the enemy of "the good".

I hope that, in our lifetimes, we are forced to address the issue of housing affordability in the downtown core, because that will mean that the market has assigned great value to our urban neighborhoods. But right now, there is plenty of affordable housing in or near the city core, and very little market-rate housing.

And we'll never see our central neighborhoods really get traction until we convince higher-income folks (and lots of them) to move on in.