View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
JR Smith and LK really didn't do much of any damage and didn't take many bad shots with a 45 point lead. I think your bias against JR Smith has clouded your mind. the Nuggets controlled the pace of the game, ran down the shot clock, had great ball movement and then fired a shot. You actually have to take a shot or it is a shot clock violation. JR and LK finished with what? 18 and 15 points each? Come on man, they did well, get off their backs.

As for the comment about the Broncos and their bad picks. Not sure what that's about? The Broncos had on of the top 5 drafts this season. they essentially got three 1st Round players, two 2nd Round players, two 3rd Round players, two 4th Rounders and a damn good QB in the 5th Round.

Knowshone Moreno is who I actually had picked as the Broncos 1st Round, 18th Overall Pick. I am not surprised one bit they took him at 12th Overall, because it was very likely he was going to be gone by the 18th. He is the best RB in the draft and in my opinion, a future star and likely rookie of the year.

Lets face it, they have to have a running back, to control the clock and give their defense more rest, so they don't wear out so much. You want to know what kind of guy Knowshone is, think of Darrent Williams (RIP) and Troy Tulowkitski. Knowshone is a leader, a highly talented and well rounded player and he will stay out of trouble off the field. he is Denver's missing piece on offense and will take pressure off both Kile Orton (or who ever the QB is) and also take pressure off and help keep rested their defense.

Ayres is going to join Jarvis Moss as too perfect DE/LB hybrids in the new 3-4 defense. Moss and Ayres will be the OLB'ers and provide perhaps the most lethal QB attack in football. Especially when you throw Elvis Dumervil into the mix. I don't think you guys are thinking about just how dangerous a LB'er corp built around DJ Williams, Jarvis Moss, Elvis Dumervil and Michael Ayres is going to be. Add Nate Webster and Boss Bailey into the rotation for better option in run defense or coverage defense and the LB'er corp is suddenly very versatile from one down to the next and deep in case of injury.

Now you add in teh top CB of the draft, Alphonso should have been picked between 20th and 25th Overall and somehow slipped to 5th pick of the 2nd Round, where Denver traded a low 1st Rounder next year, to get this low 1st Round talent this season. This move was brilliant. If Champ Bailey is healthy, this CB duo will be amazing.

They also drafted a hard hitting, good value safety for that place in the drat in the 4th Round. a couple good safeties really rounds off their secondary nicely. They really needed someone to fill teh void left by John Lynch and compliment Dawson.

Oh, and a great blocking TE will help add depth behind Daniel Graham so they can keep a quality blocking TE on the field and possibly two at the same time, to help sustain the run and keep the defense on the bench, Resting!

So this draft was all about Defense. Even the two offensive picks, were to help the defense in the sense of better clock management and field position, so the defense can work more efficiently and with less pressure on them. The best defense, is a good offense, this is so very true. Not a high scoring, reckless offense. A good, efficient and smart offense makes the best defenses.
Good post! Ball control is key to a good defense as the NY giants of 92 knew this and other well known defenses that I can recall. I am thrilled the broncos will return to an offense oriented team with the spread. Orton cannot do it alone as we know and knownshon will certainly have a big impact right away. Many folks just dont seem to understand that a RB can have a high impact with a team whereas a DE pick would have very little impact. RB's run the ball, catch, block for the QB etc. A DE would if real good stop the run on one side and add some pass rush -this isn't much of a game changer for our beloved broncos.

And lest not forget Anrda Davis at LB! This man had 207 tackles two years ago and 143 tackles last year. He is a tackling animal! Our LB core is better than many realize!

And for all you Jay cutler fans get over it! The guy really wasnt that great of a QB. His leadership skills were poor and his QB rating never surpassed 86. The guy is an ok QB with character flaws. And with a 25TD to 18 INT ratio last year he's highly overated. We now got great picks like Smith, Knwonshown, Bruton, and Mcbath, Ayers who are good guys and team players. Football is a team sport! Jay Cutler is a one man show and IMO not that great of a one.

Go Broncos!!!

Last edited by DENVER 2012; Apr 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM.