View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 11:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

No render of what it will look like once completed, but I do have this picture I took of the Confederation Building being reclad. They're replacing the clear glass and green panels with blue glass and blue panels. I LOVE it... converts what is objectively Canada's ugliest provincial parliament from a glorified high school to a tolerable office building.

The Fortis Building in downtown St. John's is also to be reclad, I believe. And if ANYONE KNOWS what they're doing to that TD Building, PLEASE tell me. What a mess that site is. It reminds me of Bridge over the Drina, by Ivo Andric (he won the Nobel Prize for Literature for it). In one passage he's describing how the Slavic townsfolk in this little Bosnian town reacted to the construction of a giant, Ottoman bridge in the 1500s. And the part that made me laugh was his description of all the scaffolding that went up, the dust, the noise, etc. And he ends this pages-long description of the construction site with, more or less, "And this mess that arose on both banks of the Drina river looked, to the townsfolk, like anything they could imagine. But not a bridge."