View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
I agree the Mayor is sending mixed messages...this will have an impact on his credibility on several fronts (going forward). I wonder if he sees continuing value in the Edmonton Design Committee. After all - speaking on RAM design is interfering. So why did he do it? Why try to silence critics? If RAM is built and looks like shit - all fingers can squarely point to the "then" Mayor Mandel...and poor judgement. That said, he muses there could be "fixes". Sure. Lets see those now before the contract is signed or include a cash allowance of $50M to improve the design.
I think it is more a case of "lets not f*** it up." The Mayor is a person who is very conscious of the design and appearance of new buildings. There are a number of factors at play given the political climate internally within the PC's and considering the Wildrose will do anything it can to get seats (340 million for Museum may not resenate very well with the rurals). There is also the arena and if something comes off the rails (like a design delay) it could spell the end of the museum.
When I heard Mandell's comments on the news, it didn't sound like that was coming directly from him.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980