View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 7:24 PM
Red October standing by

thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
Wow, Chevrolet Caprice is a pretty popular car over there!
oh yeah...the most i've seen in one place other than West End Birmingham. the Toyota Crown's also all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I'm glad you decided to post these.

Just wondering; were you apprehensive while driving around?
not really; security in Muthanna is very good. it was the first province to take control of its own security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. Were there any historic buildings there that you saw?

I have to say, this place looks pretty dumpy. I know that there's a war going on there, but I guess I was expecting a few pockets of wealth or whatnot.
there's a lot of Ottoman structures, some are seen in this thread.

Muthanna is the poorest province of Iraq, although they're working to change that. it's also the smallest population wise, and with a Shia majority, it was oppressed during the Baathist rule. 25 years of war and the embargo really hurt the nation; before Saddam, Iraq was on track to have a western Europe standard of living within a decade or two.

there are some pockets of wealth in the pics, although a lot of it has gone towards farm villas outside the city. there's a BMW in pic 28. check out the house in 44.

one of my friends said it reminded him of Mexico.

-

-fflint