View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod74 View Post
Jeez that's not good. Could be the canary in the cave type moment for DTP. With that asswipe Mohana holding up the landswap deal for the forseable future, how long can the mall limp around by itself. It might not be long before we see check cashing businesses, nick-nack stores, and generic chinese fastfood places with the faded, lamented pictures of their "yum" offerings dominate the place.
You just described Florin mall RIP. DTP is on its way! Being a frequent lunchtime customer of DTP I really don't think the venue is so much the problem as the people. Shoppers don't want to be bothered by gold teeth and pan handlers while they shop or relax. Even though W.F. is watching this mall die, I don't think much will change in terms of sales when they remodel if loiterers still occupy most of it. They will just have a fancier mall to bother people, talk to themselves and litter at. But who knows, maybe the if you build it (higher class stores and venue) they will come model will work but I don't see that happening until more normal people are living downtown to offset the bums. Hopefully that will start happening and the k-street mall will turn into something like the santa monica promenade where you have a pedestrian mall that leads up to a real mall/department stores. K Street could be another 5th street San Diego but gawd its amazing how hard it is to do things around here.