View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 6:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
As for you Tyler, your lack of historical knowledge is becoming somewhat appalling (and I don't mean to be unkind with this statement). We used to have Republicans on the Board and in power here--that was when we had ugly, inappropriate buildings AND no civil rights. Wake up for God's sake! The last Republican mayor was George Christopher; he devastated San Francisco with "urban renewal" and personally saw to it that the Fox Theatre was demolished, among other things. He also supported a very repressive SFPD. Conservative supervisors John Barbagelata, Quentin Kopp and others drove us just as crazy as Chris Daly does today, perhaps more so.
I calls em as I seez em. Maybe I'm more of a 'clean slate' to the history of the city, and all that I am going by is what I've witnessed the past few years I've lived here. A bankrupted city, an unprecedented tax system unlike anything in the U.S. that is driving thriving businesses out of the city. A population of 800,000 that really hasn't changed in decades. A stagnant population that can be seen in the unwillingness to grow the hell up or change anything, I guess all you oldies (and I say this as not an unkind statement) could care less about my generation and our needs, just run around bankrupting everything, leaving a debt and a broken, traffic clogged city that we'll be paying off the rest of our lives. Thanks guys !!

If I were in charge (which will never happen due to my sloppy history :-p) this would be my legacy:

-24 hour BART
-24 hour Muni METRO
-Last call at 4AM or later
-Privatize MUNI!
-LRV lines down Geary, Columbus, and Lombard St.
-High Rise residences and offices bordering Mission to Brannan, from Embarcadero to 12th Street.
-Revamp the traffic ticket collection system to go to FUND street and transportation repairs and upgrades
-Require all homeless to have some sort of JOB, paid for by the city, such as cleaning or sweeping the sidewalks or performing other civic duties in exchange for room and board. Eliminate the bloated city workforce and budget.
- 10 story apartment units at every BART stop. 100 new residential units must be added every year for every 10 residential blocks (or something like that)

We have the potential to be a city of millions of people, so building more dense housing would be the responsible thing to do.