View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I'm posting too much, probably annoyingly, but I have a response to this.

I live downtown and my office is downtown, I still own multiple cars and drive almost daily. I cannot imagine trying to get by without one. I'm not going to struggle with groceries, ride in Ubers, or whatever else I'd have to complicate my life with to be without car.
Quote:
This may not be the case in 10 years but how many people right now do you think can afford $1,300 for rent in a studio apartment and don't have a car? I bet there are a few, but in Phoenix, AZ, it's nowhere near 40% of residents. No chance.

Don't drink the marketing Kool-Aid, think realistically.
It doesn't need to be 40% of the residents of Phoenix who think this way, just 84 (40% of 211 units). I'm sure that there are at least 84 people in the metro area who disagree with you, who don't own or want a car and would be willing and able to pay to live in a place like Derby.

This building is not marketed to people like you, or me for that matter, who rely on their cars so much.

Quote:
You might feel differently if your business were compromised for two years. These guys aren't wealthy chain business owners, they're small businesses that can't necessarily sustain even a modest loss in revenue for 18-24 months.

Just saying.
I might, or I might also try thinking longer term about how many more customers this will bring to me. I understand that some businesses might not make it long enough to see the benefits, but whether they like it or not SOMETHING is going to get built on that lot at some point. It might not be Derby and it might not happen right now if the developer walks away, but it will happen eventually. And it won't matter how many meetings or discussions they hold to address concerns and disruptions and feelings; somebody won't like it and some lives and businesses will be affected, so they'll either adapt or relocate or close. I'm not trying to be callous, just realistic. I hate to burst anyone in Roosevelt Row's bubble, but this is what happens when a city grows and right now downtown is definitely having a growth spurt.

Last edited by RichTempe; Mar 16, 2017 at 3:50 AM.