View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 7:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Conservative supervisors John Barbagelata, Quentin Kopp and others drove us just as crazy as Chris Daly does today, perhaps more so.
I haven't been around long enough to have had personal experience of Barbagelata but what I've read isn't positive. I kind of miss Quentin Kopp on the other hand. And was he actually a Republican? I remember him as more a conservative Democrat and the Board, of course, is non-partisan. It could just be that "absence makes the heart grow fonder" but I think the SF Board lacks a certain "diversity" of political opinion that a reasonably principled conservative like Kopp would bring. I mean, Ed Jew had a reputation for being the closest thing current SF politics has to a conservative and that hasn't turned out well--to paraphrase, I knew Quentin Kopp and he is certainly no Quentin Kopp. Some might point to Michela Alioto-Pier but I see her as mostly the Alioto dynasty's last pathetic gasp. But, then, there'll always be an Arthur Bruzzone.

Quote:
I really feel that if people really can't appreciate this City for what it is and what it has stood for, they should have the courage to move elsewhere.
You know, you may be right. I have essentially done that. The fondness I have for the town that comes out when I ogle some of her best architecture, past, present and future, and recall her finer historical moments including a few I experienced personally, still exists and so I can't completely cut the chord (all that and my love of Asian food). But the town's excessively and obsessively narcicistic "progressivism" does not wear well with me these days and so I have to get away for half the year--hence, my spending winters in Tucson where I now am. The Dalys, the Mirkirimis, the Sandovals, the Ammianos and even the Peskins have partly chased me out of town. But they have only 6 months to play until this cat returns.