View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 11:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
wow -- hmm, my first impression is the two towers to the west (that is, the ds+r apt tower and the childs tower) are more intriguing than coach or the scissor twins. maybe because unlike the others they are true first impressions?

i also like the view platform or platforms -- why not? taking advantage of those views will trump any slight awkwardness in appearance.
The platform striking out from the side like that is unexpected visually, which is what I think makes it a success. It's like an open platform out into thin air, a thousand feet up. Easily the most thrilling thing to come to the New York skyline since observation decks were first built in the City.

The two additional towers, though not flushed out in detail, are easily two stand out towers for New York. One of the things about the west side is that they are building a New York for the future. In other parts of Manhattan, designs tend to blend into the current fabric, rarely standing out as much. Over on the west side, we get a fresh look at the "New York" skyscraper. On the western half of the railyards there will be one more major office tower and a even more residential towers that haven't been designed yet. Let's hope they stick with keeping things a little fresh, and don't resort to "Battery Park City" north.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.