View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 4:50 AM
BANNED

A Western Perspective For The Atlantic Naysayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dte5...F67940A08109C7

I've been so absorbed by local media regarding the potential benefits of the shipbuilding contract, I felt it reasonable to consider Vancouver and Victoria's glee in their $8 billion contract.

The Global news anchor in the video clip gives a point of comparison I would like to repeat:

"...if you add up the cost of virtually every B.C. mega project in recent years--the Olympics, the Sea to Sky Highway, the Sky Train Canada Line, and the new Port Mann Bridge--it still doesn't come to 8 billion. In fact, the B.C. Chamber of Commerce says the twenty year shipbuilding contract will have 10X the benefit of the 2010 Olympic games."

Ten times the benefit, with $8 billion.

I want this to weigh on the minds of Atlantic Canadians--because our $25 billion contract has the ability to completely change this region.

I am hoping people continue to be vocal on not allowing any waste of this potential: We need to stop our sprawl. Most industrial countries have gotten over this by now; it is economical desuetude because the cost of infrastructure is disproportionately high. Yes, the land is cheap via sprawl--but the cost of servicing all that sprawled land is not cheap.

It's time for the HRM to grow up.