View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
IMO 45K is not that big of a crowd for racing. Now if it was 45k for each day thats not bad. That would be 135K over 3 days, but unless I misread the artical it said 45K over 3 days which would mean less than 20k per day. I think we could do better here. Call it hopeful optimism lol.
I could see it go either way. If it's just a racing event for gearheads and existing fans, it probably won't draw huge crowds. If they can somehow capitalize on the Austin cachet that causes most festivals to be hugely successful, then maybe it will do well. It is after all in spring, SXSW and perfect weather time. Throw in some music and food trailers and people will come.

Here's a video someone posted on youtube from a June 2 tour of the track, I think it may be from the Mercedes Club tour of CoTA last week:
Video Link

There are some crane parts visible at 6:17, along with a large mobile crane base I think. I think the area suggests that it might be for the T15 grandstands.

They also mention the tower a little later on. It's still on for Phase 1, they say, although not all the amenities around it. They better hurry, though. I wonder if "Phase 1" is all supposed to be complete before the F1 race?