View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 8:44 PM
obit anus, abit onus

Reading all these responses almost has me convinced that buses should be banned from Portland as a human rights issue. No one should be forced to endure this humiliating, degrading mode of transit on a daily basis!

Except that I know from experience in many European cities that buses don't have to be noisy, smelly, cramped and unpleasant. You can board them quickly, without fumbling in your pocket for exact change to drop in the slot in front of the driver; you can get on and off without having to climb those narrow stairs; they can run very reliably, and frequently enough that you don't need to consult a schedule, even if you'll need to transfer. 2oh1, you asked 'Why aren't transit agencies making their buses be more like streetcars?' Well, I think in many European cities, they have.

I'll grant that trains have one unassailable advantage over buses: it's smoother to travel on rails. This is one reason I despise the Metrobús, Mexico City's dedicated BRT. Most riders have to stand (which is fine on a train), but here the ride's so jerky and there aren't enough handles... so bodies go flying and crashing everywhere. Buses may never be as smooth as trains... but if they're run frequently enough during rush hour that nearly everyone has a seat, or at least something to hold onto or lean on if they're standing; if they're designed so they don't vexingly rattle or need to make hydraulic maneuvers at every stop, then I don't think this needs to be something you really notice.

In any case, riding the bus is part of living in any real city. It's something Portland eventually needs to get right.