View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I don't think I agree. Higher density is more environmentally friendly land-wise and also even if you wouldn't walk anywhere in a dense suburban area, chances are the places you wanna go(gas station, shopping, groceries, work etc) are closer. So you spend less time in the car but more importantly you use less gas and let out less emissions.
None of this is true.

Housing doesn’t take up more land because there is more space between it (especially in these really wooded Northeastern semi-rural areas, where people commonly have deer wandering through their property).

And very clearly, suburban density creates traffic congestion, which means you don’t spend less time in the car, use less gas or release less emissions, but rather more of all of the above.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov