View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 11:13 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
And I suspect that some who do "go home" end up regretting their decision, a bit like some immigrants who retire back to the "old country". It works for some, but for others the place has changed from what they remembered.
That's something with which I've never been able to relate. I lived on the mainland from 1999-2003, and from 2005-2012. In that time almost every friend I grew up with had moved away. The city itself changed tremendously - there are suburbs now in areas that were complete wilderness; I can't remember the last time I saw a Chevette and those used to be the only thing on the road - we were look Cuba, only seemingly even poorer. I no longer have any living blood relatives in the neighbourhood where I spent most of my time. I don't know anyone who lives in the houses my ancestors built today. Doesn't matter. There's very little that's the same... preserving childhood or familiarity has never been what it's about for me. I don't care if the city changes; I just want to share that experience with the place I love. We only live once, do we really want to spend it somewhere we're not invested in? Somewhere we don't love? Somewhere we don't belong?

I can't understand at all that people who would move back where they come from and be disappointed it's evolved. But it seems to be very common.