View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Not bad at all, its an improvement on the Citdel High design.

What I like most is the land use... the entrance area looks sweet and the building meshs well with the surroundings.

Its great in terms of Burnside... there have been major strides forward in the park and I'm looking forward to seeing the area developing more.

I now understand the hotel (although poorly designed)... I bet they could put another hotel in Burnside somewhere and maybe residential closer to DC because alot of people work "in the Park" and the majority of the industrial businesses are located there (so even corporate types sometimes have to be in Burnside, seriously). It needs better pedestrian environments and transportation links... but I have actually witnessed sidewalks being built in some parts and if there was more residential integration it could be like a real neighborhood in some areas. All it would need is a grocery store, the majority of the other needs are met by the park.

Also, I think they should build an actual bridge over the highway to Highfield Park because simply putting pedestrian space on the car bridge doesn't give people incentive to not risk it to run across closer to their destination (home or potentially Tim Horton's)
In the Burnside News there was an article about how in 10-15 years time the land set aside for Burnside expansion will be developed leaving no new land for businesses to move into unless more is set aside (there was mention of expanding up the Burnside Expressway IF the province ever builds it). One of the GBBA people said when that happens the older section of the park (west of Burnside Drive) will start to be renewed and brought up to modern standards.

I can't really comment on the hotel comment but the park is already home to two hotels and one motel so I'm not sure if the market demand could even warrant another one yet.

This might be stretching it a bit but Wal-Mart could count as a grocery store ...