View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 9:20 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Thompson Center is not a waste of space. It has more kinetic energy, both mechanical and human powered, than just about anywhere else in the city. Its indoor space is also public and democratic, a rarity as well. Ill take it over 95% of the buildings we've gotten in the past 20 years. And yes, the atrium is sacred. The fact that so much space was handed over to inspiring awe, playfulness and architectural expression rather than cramming in as many offices as possible speaks to just what a rarity the design is. It has more in common with medieval cathedrals than our modern econo shit boxes. Its a complete shame its purposely being neglected and allowed to fall into disrepair to by default create a case for its lack of relevance.

Not to say its without flaws. But offensive? Thompson center is FUN. Walking inside is like entering a scene from Jacque Tati's "Playtime". We have enough buttoned down self serious buildings in this city that have riffed on the same boring Miesan design for the past 60 years. I find that lack of creativity far more offensive. Give me something that makes me FEEL something. Apparently thats too much to ask from most architects and bean counters today.
Couldn't really disagree with you more. The building is out of date already, and is horribly inefficient when it comes to energy. The entire atrium is a bitch to keep warm in once we reach late October and until mid April. The building is blocky, the glass is foggy, and overall it just hasn't aged well. The office space is clunky on top of all of this. If you think it has anything in common with a cathedral then you've visited very different churches than I. The only similarity is there is an atrium, so if that is the case then I guess the Embassy Suites in Streeterville might as well be a modern interpretation of St. Peter's Basilica