View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 7:56 PM

I should add that while Newark is in rough shape, some of the commentary is a bit outdated or inaccurate. In fact, I would say it's in equal or maybe even better shape than many cities with better reputations (not naming names).

Yes, Newark has high crime, but it is no longer among the worst. Not even close.

Newark's population has been growing for almost 20 years now. Modest growth, but growth nonetheless. How many older American cities show consistent population growth? Not too many.

Newark is also now fairly diverse, and an immigration gateway.

African Americans, who dominated the population 20 years ago (and still dominate the central parts of the city), now are around 50% of the city population, or even less. Newark could be the first major American city that became majority black, and then lost this designation. Latinos make up about 30% of the population and whites (almost all Brazilians or Portugese) make up 25%.

The Northern section of the city is majority Latino. The Southern section of the city is majority Portuguese/Brazilian.

And the black population is now much more diverse. The city has many West African immigrants.

Finally, their (relatively) new mayor Corey Booker is considered a rising young star.

I would not be shocked to see a turnaround in the near future, as the growth in adjacent Jersey City and Harrison spills over into Newark.