View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 2:30 PM
Density and complexity

Hey Adrian, look what happens when you go away... It's quite a zoo down there. The fire is on the west side of the street.

Two fires battled on Austin Street
Updated at 8:24 AM

By Meghan Hurley

Lois Greyeyes heard the loud crackling coming from outside her Point Douglas home and knew instantly something was wrong.

Greyeyes took a quick glance through her window and immediately saw the orange glow -- confirming her fears that a neighbouring home was on fire.
"I saw the fire and immediately picked up the phone," Greyeyes said this morning.

At 8 a.m., fire crews were continuing to wage war against a huge blaze that started in a home in the 2000 block of Austin Street and quickly spread to a home right beside it.

The initial call came in around 5:38 a.m.

Greyeyes lives directly across the street.
"I could see the light (from the fire) shone right through my window," she said. "There was no one else aware of it. There was no one outside."

Luckily, no one was hurt in the blaze, a fire official said.

The residents of the affected homes managed to escape, while firefighters rescued a dog.

Crews from no fewer than six fire trucks are still spraying water on the two homes on Austin between Lorne and Lisgar streets.

"The fire in the original home has spread through the roof," said Platoon Chief Garry Rasmussen. "With the flames through the roof, that's good for us because we can get at them."

But Greyeyes fears both homes are damaged beyond repair.

"I've been watching the troops go back and forth, and it looks like they just can't save them," she said. "...two houses, just gone like that."

Austin is shut down for several blocks from Euclid to the north.

Euclid Avenue had been closed from Main Street to Austin but has since reopened.