View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
The Green Party is by and large composed of fiscal conservatives or moderates for whom environmental issues are paramount. The NDP is traditionally a labour and social democrat party which apparently also now wants the votes of environmentalists.

I don't think Leap is going to destroy the NDP. They might lose some support in blue collar areas in the short term, but I think the important thing here is that they are on the right side of history. Most people know that we need to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels. When do they think we should do that? I know for some the answer will always be "later," but environmental issues are going to be a growth opportunity. Additionally, these are issues that neither the Conservatives nor the Liberals can credibly campaign on- both are beholden to business in ways that preclude anything more than lip service.
They'd need to hope they can dethrone the Liberals in the big downtown areas, since that is where their message will be most receptive. However, Trudeau essentially has a lock on most of the big cities.