View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 2:27 AM

It's nice to see that the window is starting to open as far as Federal/P3 funding, and I hope progress continues.

But when I read the general commentary about professional teams....

The rules governing the P3 fund allow proposals for “sports infrastructure,” but go on to exclude “facilities used primarily by professional athletes.”

Tom Lukiwski, a Regina-area Conservative MP who urged the Saskatchewan government to apply to the P3 Fund, says the province is talking up the other potential uses for the facility in the hope of making the case that it won’t be used “primarily” by the CFL. However he said no one has received a clear interpretation of the rule from the managers of the fund.

...I have to ask, why isn't someone suggesting that there should be an agenda established relating to CFL teams and cities. I don't think anyone would dispute that the CFL operates on a much smaller scale than the NFL, MLB, NBA or NHL does. The reality is it's two different worlds...how does the revenue of a CFL team compare to what the Leafs or Canadiens earn? I really don't see how you can lump them together in a blanket policy.

Beyond the financial difference between the NHL and CFL it's important to remember that the CFL is just that...the CANADIAN Football League. If they've got an extra billion why not earmark a portion of that for infrastructure in CFL cities. I think equitable funding for projects in Winnipeg, Hamilton and Saskatchewan would be well received. I'm not suggesting everyone gets $100 million, but even $30 or $40 million is a big boost. Beyond that if Halifax and Ottawa have stadium agendas in place, they should try to fall in line with the others listed.

That's not to say that Quebec City should be taken off the list, but I really think there needs to be a distinction between NHL and CFL.