View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 4:51 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
You Europeans do have amazing concepts about sports leagues. Your whole concept of relegation is totally foreign here. However, "The EPL is not about who wins the Premiership". Are you f#@king kidding me? Winning the title means everything here. Every year you win the Cup or you go home. No team here plays just for the fun of being on the field. I guess if winning is nothing, no wonder the EPL is full of little dink teams playing in Welsh backwaters like Swansea with no chance in hell of ever winning a league title. That would be like having an MLB team in Thunder Bay and expecting them to be competitive with the New York Yankees.
I think it comes down to the question: would you rather have 30 clubs any of which can win the league in the next few years or nearly 100 clubs, at least on of which is local, that could play in the top flight in the near future? While a Leafs fan in Thunder Bay would thoroughly enjoy the Leafs winning the cup, having a team from Thunder Bay playing the NHL would also mean a lot.

Additionally, it doesn't have to be exclusive. Some people in Swansea adopt a bigger club like Arsenal or United as their second clubs similar to how people in Thunder Bay adopt the Leafs or any other team.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz