View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 5:31 PM

Bluesfest

Surprised that no one has updated this thread since they announced the Bluesfest lineup a week ago, here are some highlights announced thus far:

July 4 - Grand Funk Railroad, The Cat Empire
July 5 - Flogging Molly, Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters
July 6 - Dixie Chicks, Zeds Dead
July 7 - The Joy Formidable, Tegan and Sara, Fun., Wu-Tang Clan
July 8 - Mother Mother, RUSH
July 9 - TBA
July 10 - Marianas Trench, Weezer, Animal Collective
July 11 - The Tragically Hip
July 12 - Matthew Good, Great Big Sea
July 13 - Bjork
July 14 - Skrillex, B.B. King (!!!!)

Also, on another note, how do you all feel about Bluesfest going smoke-free this year? I think it is destined to only have negative consequences, and will result in lower attendance as people will choose to go to other festivals like Osheaga in Montreal (which I have attended many years in a row and which is way better value for $ than Bluesfest). Enforcing the non-smoking rule will be a nightmare for everyone. It will be easier to enforce at the smaller stages, but having security roaming through the big crowds and enforcing the rule during the evening shows will be a disturbance to everyone, way more than the odd whiff of cigarette smoke ever was. It remains a big mystery how they will enforce it. Ottawa by-law can't as this will be on NCC property. NCC can't enforce it as smoking on their property does not break any laws. So it will be up to Bluesfest security to enforce I guess. That means bigger overhead, less attendance and less profit (if any). Just a bad business decision all around. Plus, why does it say on the Bluesfest FAQ site that you are allowed to bring in cigs and lighters if smoking will be banned? Here is the news article re: Bluesfest going smoke free:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...moke-free.html