View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I again, strongly disagree.

The Riverwalk as we know it, is a man made canal that was targeted at tourists. It has done its job wonderfully decade after decade. The is the old San Antonio you speak of. The new San Antonio is the museum reach, and San Pedro Creek. Actual linear parks targeted to residents, that will on their own merits attract tourists.

River entrances for hotels or restaurants will not make a lick of difference. The Pearl has managed to become highly (I mean highly) successful with zero river level connectivity. Yet, when I go down to the museum reach, every weekend, it's incredibly active with people walking, exercising, exploring, sight seeing, etc.

This is the new San Antonio. One where the river and and soon creek, act as companions to steet level development instead of what the current Riverwalk has done, suck most of all the steeet level life below street level.
Hard to act as companions without access. Residents might want to eat at those restaurants as well as the tourists. A good business accommodates both.

I'd imagine most on the river level on the Museum Reach are local residents, as well as the Mission Reach. I'd also wager that those same residents eat, drink, dance, whatever.

What's more, is they likely live in the area, and might not want to hike to the nearest street access to dine or revel. River access for the businesses would be a plus. You say the Pearl is thriving, and it is, but river access would enhance that.

I understand you're saying that the activity on the Museum Reach is mostly local, and I agree, but several locals on this board have stated a preference for river access to the businesses on this stretch. Small indicator, sure, but worthy of consideration.

ETA: The transformation of the River from a ditch to world renowned destination is part of our history. Don't dismiss that so casually.

Last edited by Restless 1; Sep 21, 2016 at 3:27 AM.