View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 10:25 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolaproud View Post
Does anyone know what is going on at the corner of Chartres and Monegut? I saw it was surrounded by fencing with Gibbs construction signs. It's a big brick building that I think used to be a Molasses factory.
Rice Mill Lofts

It's a Sean Cummings project... he announced some ambitious plans for the building back in '07 (cantilevered health club over the floodwall, townhouses on the roof) but now he's just doing a simple adaptive re-use of the building into apartments.

Quote:
2) What's with all the construction along the I-10 by the Jeff Davis overpass? It is right up along the sound wall and looks like it may be incorporating the tracks in some way...
No idea. Sounds interesting. They're doing work down closer to Broad on a new energy plant for OPP, though.

Quote:
Entergy Power Plant (even if it's a bass pro shop)
Bass Pro is just the anchor for the power plant building itself. NOLA Development owns many of the surrounding lots as well, and they are currently recruiting other retailers. For an idea of how it will turn out, look at Midtown Miami on Google Maps. It had the same developer and architect, it was also built on a industrial site (railyard) and its anchor was Target, which attracted numerous other retailers.

I'm holding out hope for a Target at the Power Plant... they're in the suburbs already, they're currently focused on new stores in urban markets, and they've already looked at a New Orleans store before (at the Lindy Boggs site in Mid-City). That deal fell through, but hopefully they can make it work this time.