View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 2:25 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
^^
Yeah, but the point is that it is kind of rare today.
Is it really? If you can come up with examples to the contrary, then fine. But wouldn't it make more sense not to put up the curtain wall before construction of most of the building is complete? Would it not make sense to prevent the relatively-delicate window facade structure from being damaged by all the construction equipment and debris by, I don't know, not putting it up prematurely?

I know we're all getting tired of seeing the tower's skeleton and would love to see the glass tower finally take shape, but geez.... patience, people, patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Wow. The whole WTC area looks so much better nowadays. Specially the docks area near the freeway D:
The docks no longer exist today because they were essentially the dumping ground for the original World Trade Center's excavated foundation. The Battery Park City area ground is essentially all landfill.

Also, take note that the original World Trade Center site was created in a process not too different than the process used to create public housing projects - eminent domain. The previous tenants on that site was Radio Row, a thriving electronics business and residential district. Of course, the PA NY/NJ couldn't quite make the claim that this was a "slum" that needed to be cleared in the name of progress and development, as had happened to many residents throughout the city whose homes were taken and razed for public housing and other projects. But the result was much the same, only prettier and more successful.