View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 5:05 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Agreed, though none of this precludes cutting people more or less slack for the exact same "sins" depending on whether someone is or isn't from the same ideological or political family.

For an example from the relationships world, think of the newlywed still madly in love with her hubby who thinks it's cute how he leaves his dirty underwear in a ball on the floor of the bathroom, versus the frustrated middle-aged wife who thinks her husband of 25 years is the worst asshole in the world for doing the exact same thing. (Actually the exact same person is capable of having the same reaction vis-à-vis the same husband at different stages of her life.)
To be clear, I'm not saying such a thing isn't possible. I'm just saying I don't think it's a factor in this case.

Also I'm not sure your example is the best one for what you're describing. In the case of newlyweds vs a long married couple, yes the wife will be more annoyed once she's been subjected to years of annoying bahaviour. But that is based on things the husband has actually done over the years affecting how she reacts to him and that dynamic would be consistent with any other partner she had. If the new spouse had done annoying things around her for 25 years she would be equally annoyed with him so there's nothing really inconsistent about her reaction. A better example would be something like, a person treating two of their partners differently when the two partners' track records of current and past behaviours were exactly same because one partner was taller or better looking than the other, or a different race etc. So she was just showing favouritism toward one based on things the partner had no control over.