View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 1:36 PM
Creative Accountant

'I think this city is moving forward'

Wed Jan 2 2008

by Chris Webb and Tania Kohut

Zach Regiec, Red River College student

I'm always optimistic about our city because without hope there is not really much else. Hope keeps you focused. Things are improving. I just wish the politicians, thinkers, academics, and the well-to-do's could get their acts together and help out the less fortunate at a way quicker pace.

I drove down Main Street by Higgins the other day and realized I have been making that drive for over 20 years and the cycle of poverty there is still atrocious.

Roland Landry, Lorette grain farmer

2007 was not really a great year, and our yields were really low because of rains early in the season. The grain prices are pretty great right now but, with input costs like fuel and chemicals going up, it's becoming more difficult.

Farmers are optimistic for 2008 because the demand for ethanol fuel is also pushing up the demand for grain. For all the talk of grain prices being so high, the most a Canadian farmer can make is $6 per bushel for wheat, so people shouldn't be blaming farmers for rising food prices because it's not their fault.

Sean Garrity, Winnipeg filmmaker

I'm optimistic that with the rising dollar that offshore production might let off a little here in Winnipeg and business and government will start investing in their own indigenous filmmakers.

On the city side, I'm pretty pessimistic about what Sam Katz is doing at city hall. I think his policies are reactionary and serve his upper middle class constituents in their fat SUVs, which is very unfortunate given that the previous administration had fairly progressive policies.

Coun. Jenny Gerbasi, Fort Rouge

I'm optimistic that Winnipeg has great potential as a city. I'm also pessimistic because this potential could be more actively cultivated, but mostly I'm realistic that we need to keep working hard to make this city better in 2008.

Ron Paley, jazz musician

I was born in Winnipeg in 1950, and I think this city is moving forward very positively and progressively. Jazz is definitely growing here in Winnipeg and it's thanks to a lot of people. Steve Kirby at the University of Manitoba deserves a lot of thanks, and at the high school level there are a lot of kids getting involved, and that spreads throughout the city and it inspires other kids to play.

David Jacks, U of W Students'Association president

The biggest thing that's going to affect students happens on Jan. 1, and that's transit fees going up by 25 cents. To students who rely on transit to get to school it's a big deal.

One other thing that I noticed in 2007 is the focus on downtown development has taken money away from the North End and West End. When young people come to Winnipeg, they say that it's cold and there's poverty, and that needs to change. Maybe the city should stop focusing on business tax cuts and then it wouldn't have to raise transit fees.

Jim Sanders, documentary filmmaker

In 2007 I have been working on a documentary film about aboriginal housing issues that showed me how profound social and economic inequalities and injustices are the foundation of our city. Unfortunately, the powers that be that run our city, have too much self-interest in maintaining their status and monopoly over resources and wealth.

The good news is that this is all coming to an end. One thing that I have learned from the various indigenous elders that I work with here in Manitoba, as well as in the Amazon, is that we are entering period where consciousness is shifting towards one of harmony and balance. This is all part of the known cycles of nature and the cosmos that many indigenous people are very aware of. So we are in the final years in which those driven by ego and greed will lose what was never theirs to begin with, and those that have remained humble and heart-driven will inherit a renewed Earth.
Why this is special for Winnipeg, is that our hometown just happens to be the site of the world's most ancient sacred gathering site and a place where many indigenous people prophesy will become the location for the renewal of a new global civilization built around peace.

Rachel Gotthilf, U of M student and former UMSU vice-president

I'm really disappointed in the way the city was run in 2007 and I'm even more worried about the direction it's heading in 2008. What Winnipeg really needs for students and residents is affordable transit system, and I really hope rapid transit is put back on the table in 2008. And if this city wants to keep students and young people around it really needs to invest in entertainment and the arts.

David Northcott, executive director, Winnipeg Harvest

2007 has been a difficult year for us and we see the economic difficulties that people face every day such as child poverty levels still being very high, but we have a sense of optimism for the new year.
Personally, I think we need to be on a municipal couch and examine our city's problems. We're a city of great promise with heroes who are never seen nor their stories ever told, we need to get over our sense of inferiority and embrace our city. It's a fascinating place with a lively arts community and it has great potential, so I think Winnipeggers should absolutely look at their city favourably in 2008. It's still fairly affordable to live and it's a great place to keep in touch with friends and family.

Jerry Shore, concert and event promoter

From the point of view of someone who deals in American dollars, the exchange rate has made it very favourable for us, anyone involved in the entertainment business in Canada.

With that soft American dollar, from the point of view of Canadians, 2008's going to be pretty good.

Mike Law, president, Manitoba Bar Association

I'm optimistic that the government will properly fund legal aid in 2008. What legal aid pays in Manitoba is the lowest in all of the country, it's just pathetic how little they pay and that is why so few lawyers take legal aid cases, that's why there's a big crisis. I'm hopeful the government will properly fund it so it's no longer an issue.

David Trach, lead singer, Mr. Boom

It's going to be a great year. Winnipeg's local scene is one of the best in Canada. Go support live local music, we have a lot a lot of original bands that are going to hit the big time soon. See them while you can, before they make it big.

Joanne Loughery, president, A Port in the Storm Inc.

This is going to be a very big year for us. We're heading into a provincial capital fundraising campaign. We are very excited about the generosity and volunteerism of Manitoba people for important causes such as ours. I guess I'm feeling very optimistic that 2008 will be a very successful and exciting year.