View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster View Post
Much of the road is already there. Granted it is logging road, and yes it would still be very exspensive, but there is road from powell river all the way to the top of jervis inlet. It ends right at the base of mount alfred. I believe its the same coming from squamish. There is not really that much distance between the ends of each road (I used to know the exact amount). I believe its something like 15 to 20 km of new road they would need to build. Less if they incorporate a tunnel.

I do agree though would still be more money then anyone would be willing to spend.
The selling point for the Powell river road is opening up more of the area to resource extraction etc. The Anvil bridge option makes sense but the problem is the spans that would be 1.5+ km's. Anyways a fixed link will be built either overland from Squamish, to Powell river or over Anvil island which avoids all the areas with citizens and island trust funds etc.

My preferred option would have been a fixed link over Gambier island (there is a underwater ridge in-between that would allow a bridge with two 1.5km spans and the third bridge would also be under 1.5 km's. But that would mean a bridge infront of Lions Bay and through the island trust lands and that would be impossible to push through in today's political environment.

The next best thing is a fixed link to Gibsons via Anvil or Squamish and the completion of the new Sunshine Coast highway up towards Sechelt, Halfmoon bay, Gardne Bay and eventually Egmont with a new bridge over to Nelson Island and on to Powerll river at some point in the future. That would open up some 150 km/s of gently sloping coast just north of Vancouver.

Also anyone who says a fixed link is not needed, or has been needed decades ago is not familiar with the area. I am on the Sunshine Coast at this point at-least once a month. The fixed link for economic reasons should have been built decades ago. It will pay for its self through increased economic activity over the next 100 + years.