View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 6:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post

That link shows me fairly elegant streetlights, some street trees, sidewalks in mostly decent condition, and retailers including Chipotle and Starbucks that one typically does not associated w/dystopias or struggling neighbourhoods.

Its a curious juxtaposition.
the city has gone all in to try to revitalize 63rd/halsted, so investment has been made, but it's being rebuilt in such an unfortunate suburban style that the hopes of this once great district ever recapturing some of its former urban glory have essentially been dashed.

as i said earlier, the land is simply too inexpensive to convince potential developers to anything more interesting than strip malls. i suppose the city could just ban strip malls, but then nothing would get built at all.

and the real root of the problem is the fact that there simply aren't enough people in this world who would want to live in englewood. the gun violence there really is off the freaking charts.