View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 12:06 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Hillbilly View Post
I don't like the street level on that rendering. The arcades which were built at Salter's Gate are quite poorly done and now they are planning to make the same mistake at the south end of the property.
Here's a picture I took of Salter's Gate:

It's probably safe to say that the exterior materials will be similar. I'd prefer something else, but to be honest I don't think they necessarily look that bad.

When it comes to the arcades specifically I think the biggest problem is simply how they relate to the sidewalk. The ones on Hollis are set several feet below and don't feel very accessible. They interfere with the line of site to what should be bright storefronts and display windows. The Salter Street side is similar, and the glass tops are ugly.

The rendering makes it look like the Lower Water Street arcading will be at street level, which solves one problem of Salter's Gate. Similarly, the side arcades are not stepped as with Salter's Gate but are brought up to a balcony level above. I'm not a huge fan of that design either but it looks a little better.

The curved corner entry seems pretty attractive to me, and I like the rounded entrance to Salter's Gate. I dislike the fenestration on Salter's Gate but that also seems a bit better in the tower rendering.

Of course, it's entirely possible that the detailing in the rendering is totally different from what will be in the final design.