View Single Post
Old Posted May 14, 2013, 5:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Simplicity is great.

But it's also, in some ways, a mirage. There are so many factors that go into creating an atmosphere like the one in this town.

I think simple people have generally happier lives - but that doesn't correspond with the rural/urban divide as much as people on either side like to think.

There are towns this size all but destroyed by meth.

There are towns this size in my own province where just about everyone under the age of 65 has moved away.

There are large cities like Montreal that don't feel transient at all - but rather settled. They're growing, of course, but there's a contented core as well.

There are cities in my own province that do not have the amenities or recreational/cultural programs this town of 3,100 has.

There are all sorts of socio-economic factors that come into play. Beausejour has been really lucky that all of these factors have come together in its favour.

It's even close enough to large city to have some subdivisions with commuters popping up, allowing young families in the town to stay but work and spend their free time in the capital.