View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 5:45 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Metrotown is a bunch of towers in a park anchored by a mall with a lrt station. It's prettier than MCC (point vs slab and decked parking vs acres of surface parking) however, hardly what I'd call a downtown. Never being to New West.
What are you talking about? Have you ever even been or walked around for any length of time there? Having spent an hour or two in the mall doesn't count. Also, since when is the Skytrain an LRT? Are we really that desperate to grasp at straws just to put other places down?

Kingsway is an entire street of streetfront retail through metrotown. There's no park anywhere near the mall, except Central Park about a km away (gorgeous park btw), and as I said, it's not quite there yet, but it is getting there fast. With Sovereign, Station Square, Metroplace, the Metrotower Complex, Chancellor, the redevelopment of the parking lot of The Bay, there's no doubting Metrotown's plan and capability to become one of the most urban suburbs in the country. Especially considering it already has an entire street with brick faced pedestrian scale older buildings full of retail and opportunities for beautification running straight through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I like how Lower Lonsdale in North Vancouver is evolving into a downtown, although the population on the North Shore is low compared to other cities in Metro Vancouver.
Me too man. Pretty much all of Lonsdale is great. Would be cool if they built a tram up the hill to make it more accessible too! Hopefully one day! The Quay is my favorite place down there. We always used to go to the East Side Mario's there! Yummm

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.