View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
I just came across a full-text PDF document containing an application by the L.A. Conservancy to have the Plaza district added to the National Register of Historic Places. The original part is dated 1972, but there seem to be several addenda added over the following years into the 1980s. There's at least some discussion for just about every building on the site, contributing to a count of 35 pages.

I haven't read it through yet, but I can't help wonder if this is when the last businesses were evicted, including La Esperanza? Does anyone have access to phone books or directories from 1970 to about 1974?

It wouldn't surprise me if this was the source document for the informational pamphlets the Park passed out to visitors in the 1970s and 80s.
Here's a little bit of background on Ezequiel Moreno: He was a baker in his native Mexico. He was born in 1896 in Guadalupe, Zaca, Mexico. Mr. Moreno came to the US in 1917 and initially settled in Arizona where he was listed in his WWI draft registration as a miner. By 1919 he is in Los Angeles when his daughter was born. He is listed in the 1940 Census as the owner of a restaurant. Mr. Moreno became a naturalized US citizen in 1942. He died in South Pasadena in 1976.

Last edited by oldstuff; Dec 3, 2015 at 10:51 PM.