View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 11, 2019, 6:39 PM

Fair Oaks Avenue and Colorado Street (Boulevard), Pasadena, New Year's Day, 1948. People are leaving the Rose Parade. Even today, right after the Rose Parade, Colorado Boulevard is filled with trash.

Southern California Railway Museum Archives

Here's the same location on New Year's Day, 1950. Here you can clearly see the trash that Rose Parade viewers have left. When I first saw this picture, I thought the date was incorrect because of that older car, but looking at the clothes of the people and those traffic lights, I knew that 1950 had to be right. Pasadena used to have those banjo-type traffic lights in earlier decades. That guy was probably just driving an old car; even today of course, you see cars on the road that are 15+ years old.

January 1, 1951. Looking north on Fair Oaks Avenue at Glenarm Street, Pasadena. This would be the last New Year's Day that this intersection has streetcars rolling through it. Streetcar service would end in September of that year. But see that liquor store sign on the left? Even today, that business is still a liquor store. And I didn't realize there was a gasometer near that intersection; I wonder when it went away.

South Pasadena, January 1, 1940. The Rose Parade has wrapped up, and people are headed back south towards Los Angeles (and points beyond) on the Pacific Electric Streetcars. This view is looking north at the Oneonta Park Station, which was located literally in the middle of the intersection of Fair Oaks Avenue and Huntington Drive. The PE is running more streetcars this day to accommodate Rose Parade and possibly Rose Bowl Game crowds. Other streetcars are waiting on Fair Oaks to get the signal to go through to Huntington Drive. The tower you see to the right of Fair Oaks Avenue is South Pasadena Middle School. Beyond that in the background is Raymond Hill. I live near the base of Raymond Hill.

Undated photo of Oneonta Park Station in South Pasadena. It looks like you could buy newspapers and sandwiches there.

~ Charles Bukowski